When fertilizing your lawn, you want to do so quickly, evenly and easily. The Agri-Fab 175-Pound Tow Broadcast Spreader 45-0329 may be the answer you’re looking for. By spreading fertilizer evenly, it avoids underfertilization (which can lead to a poor lawn) or overfertilization (which can burn or kill grass if the concentration of fertilizer is too heavy).
It’s a big investment, of course, which is why we want to give you the heads up on all its features, as well as the pros and cons, before you make your purchase. These are taken from real reviews from real customers, not marketers, so you know they accurately reflect the benefits and pitfalls of the product. Overall, however, most consumers thought the Agri-Fab 175-Pound Tow Broadcast Spreader 45-0329 was a good investment, so read on to find out if it’s right for you.
Designed to attach to an ATV or tractor to cover large stretches of lawn, this broadcast spreader has many features, including:
- Spread width of 10-to-12-feet
- 175-pound capacity
- Covers roughly 40,000-square-feet
- Pair of 15-by-6-inch pneumatic turf tread tires with 3/4-inch diameter axles and ball bearings
- Pull pin for transport at higher speeds
- Raised flow control handle accessible from driver’s seat of ATV
- Vinyl cover to protect from elements
- 1-year warranty
- Heat-treated steel gear drive
- Metal Gears
Although this spreader is designed for broadcasting fertilizer, it also works for spreading sand, providing the sand is dry so it does not clump and stick in the mechanisms, as well as seed.
The Agri-Fab 175-Pound Tow Broadcast Spreader 45-0329 has a significant number of perks, according to its champions.
- Is very well-made and will last for years, one customer going so far as to boast 9 years and counting
- Spreads not only fertilizer but any other granular products very well
- The product, as shipped from Amazon, contained all necessary parts and arrived on time for most customers
- Proper maintenance, which just means washing with a hose and spritzing with a light oil, results in longevity
- Handles even the sharpest tractor turns
- On/off lever is easy to reach
- Also works to spread seed, such as grass seed or wheat seed
- Does not leak material when closed
- A good price for the quality of the item, when assembled correctly
Not everyone loved the Agri-Fab 175-Pound Tow Broadcast Spreader 45-0329, however. Among the main concerns were that the hatch door does not close as product specifications state it should, but several customers who left positive reviews explained that this is due to improper adjustment of the screws that secure the handle assembly. Once these are adjusted, the door should close perfectly well and doesn’t jam while in use. One customer pointed out that this step is actually outlined in the instructions, but that you must read all the way to the end (step 11) to see it. Other complaints included:
- Relatively poor instructions, which for the most part contain only pictures
- The control is a little soft
- Some customers complained that it was missing parts on arrival, although Amazon quickly corrected the problem and after that the spreader worked as advertised
- Despite attempts to adjust or fix the gate, some customers were still frustrated by it
What Do Customers Have to Say?
Have used this “tow-behind” spreader three times now and have nothing but praise for it. Solidly made and adequately braced for the weight it is capable of handling. A well designed, wide enough stance on generously sized tires to prevent tip-overs even when going across steep grades....Wilson – Read the Full Review on Amazon
Having fertilized and seeded my 1 acre field with my brand new AgriFab spreader, I already know that it is very easy to use and it works very well. Judging by the way it's built, it seems like it will last me for many years too....Juergen LOEWEN – Read the Full Review on Amazon
Now that you’ve read the good, bad and pretty (since, you know, there wasn’t any ugly), what do you think? Let us know in the comments if you’ve used this product before, if you like it, and whether this review was helpful to you. And if you have additional thoughts about the product that we didn’t mention here, please feel free to share them!