Scotts Turf Builder Tall Fescue Grass Seed Summary
- Grows quicker and thicker
- WaterSmart® PLUS absorbs water to protect seeds from disease
- Southern bred to thrive in summer and tough conditions
- Grows well in sun, shade and high traffic
- Heat, drought, insect and disease resistance
- final verDict
Scotts Turf Builder Tall Fescue Grass Seed Mix is a top choice for homeowners, groundskeepers and anyone who is in charge of maintaining a green, thick lawn especially in high traffic areas. It is an excellent mix for almost any climate and is extremely resilient when exposed to foot traffic and small wheeled vehicles.
Scotts Turf Builder Tall Fescue Grass Seed Mix has many features that make it appealing to most landscapers and homeowners. They are:
- The ability to absorb almost twice the water as seeds that have no outside coating
- Superior resistance to high temperatures
- Superior resistance to drought and low moisture
- Rejuvenates and thrives year after year
- Sprouts after 5 to 7 days
- Starts to spread and produce coverage after just a few weeks
- Exceptional grass mix for homes that have children and pets
This grass is known to spread easily and covers with a thick, full carpeting of grass. The root bed goes very deep allowing it to pull moisture and nutrients from several inches below the surface of the ground. The deep roots also help to keep the grass established and prevent it from being pulled or dislodged from the ground. Its excellent growth pattern allows damaged areas of ground to be recovered within a few days.
Customer reviews for Scotts Turf Builder Tall Fescue Grass Seed Mix are very positive with the majority of customers claiming they would purchase the product again in the future if they ever needed to reseed or add thickness to their lawn. A few of the most positive comments are:
- Thrives in extreme heat maintaining its vibrant, green appearance without turning brown or drying out
- Works extremely well in high traffic areas, especially golf courses where small vehicles, such as golf carts and bags are constantly being used
- Quick to germinate with a minimal need for water
- 7 pounds of product will seed almost 1,750 square feet of lawn adequately and effectively
One of the most common compliments about the product is its ability to thrive in extremely high temperatures. This makes it a good choice for lawns that have several hours of direct sunlight every day.
Out of the few negative complaints that were registered, the main one seemed to revolve around the fact that the seed did not do well in areas with extremely hard soils. Clay, for example, can be hard like bricks or concrete when it is dry. This makes it very difficult for roots to establish themselves, especially if they must go deep into the soil to search and draw water. With proper preparation, soils that are extremely hard can still be productive, but this will dramatically increase the amount of maintenance the seed will need to thrive and spread effectively.
Several reviews claimed that this seed was also very slow to spread and effectively cover the desired area. This, however, could be a result of the hardness of the soil. With additional water and preparation, this particular complaint might be able to be resolved.
As this grass ages, some reviewers claimed its blades thickened and gave the lawn a coarse, rough texture. This could possibly be remedied by aerating the soil and adding a new application of the seed every few years to keep the lawn looking fresh and vibrant.
Overall, Scotts Turf Builder Tall Fescue Grass Seed Mix did extremely well in the majority of the reviews it received. Even the negative reviews provided insight that if the lawn had more preparation before planting, many of the issues would have been corrected.
Final Editor Rating: